"Like" AX84 on facebook

'Hi voltage SS FX Loop'
Author:Martn Redolatti (registered user: 377 posts )
Date: Thu, Mar 18th, 2010 @ 21:07 ( . )

How common is a LND150?

I've seen irf820s at local stores, but not LND150s

will the different phase colour the sound in some way?

-- REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

'Hi voltage SS FX Loop'
Author:JeffW (registered user: 1723 posts )
Date: Thu, Mar 18th, 2010 @ 21:22 ( . )

Here is the Mouser number for a 69cent lnd150: LND150N3-G

I think the lnd150 has a slightly slower onset of clipping so it sounds a bit smoother if you clip it. I tried it and if you don't hit it hard it will produce a round/compressed wave form before it hard square waves.

'Hi voltage SS FX Loop'
Author:Zoe N Iain (registered user: 8137 posts )
Date: Fri, Mar 19th, 2010 @ 03:53 ( . )

On 03/18/2010 @ 21:22, JeffW wrote :
Here is the Mouser number for a 69cent lnd150: LND150N3-G
:
: I think the lnd150 has a slightly slower onset of clipping so it sounds a bit smoother if you clip it. I tried it and if you don't hit it hard it will produce a round/compressed wave form before it hard square waves.
--

Yeah, it does round off the signal quite nicely before it goes square. And you can, of course, apply the usual tricks to help that out; highest practical B+, unbypassed source resistor, very slightly warm bias point, etc. It has plenty of 'spare' gain available, so leaving the source unbypassed is particularly effective in keeping things sweet. And as I said above, most FX units do have some kind of level control, so it's pretty easy to keep the signal in the pretty region.

'Hi voltage SS FX Loop'
Author:Celeste hall (registered user: 2249 posts )
Date: Fri, Mar 19th, 2010 @ 12:17 ( . )

Like every one has said, the LDN is slightly better choice, but if you do not care to order one, you are not likely to find one locally. Convenience of getting parts is an important part of parts selection, and if the 820's are easy to get, use two of them, the difference will not make a huge difference, especially if you stay clean in your recovery side. As Iain says, most effects have a level control.

Last night, I just built a reverb recovery with a LDN150, so I do practice what I preach here, I see no way the reverb coil can clip the input. I would have used a HV direct drive with an IRF820 source follower as well, but I do not have the HV current in the budget, so I voltage trippled the 5v winding and am driving an 8 ohm tank with a LM386.

'Hi voltage SS FX Loop'
Author:tedmich (registered user: 683 posts )
Date: Thu, Sep 09th, 2010 @ 20:51 ( . )

Celeste, Rod Elliott likes the LM386 too for reverb:
[link]

--- 15 Users Online --- 49 Recent Unique Posters

Q77=1398256998 - Threads: / 1398256998