"Like" AX84 on facebook

'6n2p vs 12ax7 tube comparison'
Author:bancika (registered user: 2429 posts )
Date: Tue, Apr 29th, 2008 @ 09:27 ( . )

Hi guys,
Thanks to michaeleinem I got few noval socket adapters which can be custom wired. The goal is to compare cheap russian military 6n2p-ev tubes with some 12ax7 I have. I only had time to do some quick ear tests but I plan to make some clips and post them so you can all hear. I was swapping the first two tubes (should make the most of a difference) in my 5W slo clone between 6n2p-ev, EI ecc83s, JJ ecc83 and chinese 12ax7. By the way, amp was built to work with 6n2p tubes all way.
The good news is that 6n2p-ev are close or better than 12ax7's I have. The only tube I liked just a bit more was JJ ecc83s. Russians sound great both clean and distorted. Also, internal shield between triodes helps with noise reduction. Build quality also seems great (military tubes) so they should be durable. I haven't found a microphonic tube yet (first five tubes I took from the box worked great in the amp so I didn't need to try others).
I hope I'll have time this weekend to do some recording with WAV file as input...but for now I recommend getting and trying some of those, they cost much less than 12ax7 tubes, and IMHO they are totally worth the money.
Btw, here are some pics of adapters, I wired one adapter for converting 12ax7->6n2p so I can try 6n2p with some amps built for 12ax7.
[link]
[link]
[link]
And one pic of 6n2p-ev tubes glowing
[link]
Cheers,
Bane

-- REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

Author:rotylee (registered user: 226 posts )
Date: Tue, Apr 29th, 2008 @ 13:49 ( . )

do you have a source for the adapters?
any diagram or step by step of the socket adapter mod?

Date: Tue, Apr 29th, 2008 @ 14:00 ( . )

you can see it on the picture I provided, also check out pinouts for these tubes. The only thing different is heater wiring because 6n2p doesn't have 9 pin center tap, but it's used for internal shield instead.
To use 12ax7 instead of 6n2p you just need to "redirect" pin 9 to pin 4 or pin 5. On this photo the first from the left is a 12ax7 adapter.
[link]
To make 6n2p adapter (to be used for 12ax7 sockets) you just need to do the reverse thing - connect pin 4 or 5 to pin 9 (second adapter on the photo).
It probably sounds confusing, but it's very simple...
Cheers

Date: Tue, Apr 29th, 2008 @ 14:01 ( . )

as for the source, there's a german site, but I don't have the link. You should be able to find it here, michaeleinem posted it when I was looking for socket adapters few weeks ago.

Author:michaeleinem (registered user: 397 posts )
Date: Tue, Apr 29th, 2008 @ 14:12 ( . )

Source: [link] (click on "Noval Adapters" in the Main Navigation) If you need help with the German drop me a line at me<thingy>bauchladen<otherthingy>at

Date: Tue, Apr 29th, 2008 @ 20:41 ( . )

found them but couldn't figure how to or if i could order.
found something else while looking around
[link]
pcb's with a socket and leads for breadboarding

Date: Wed, Apr 30th, 2008 @ 01:51 ( . )

The Blizzard stuff is intended to use for breadboarding prototypes. Not really helpful for pinout converting adapters.
As I wrote, If you need help ordering I'll be happy to help. My email is in my previous post in this thread.

Date: Sun, May 04th, 2008 @ 15:02 ( . )

i saw this
[link]
under heater switching.
is this an alternative to a converter ?

Date: Sun, May 04th, 2008 @ 16:38 ( . )

On 05/04/2008 @ 15:02, rotylee wrote :
i saw this
: [link]
: under heater switching.
: is this an alternative to a converter ?
--

Sure, this is a perfectly good way to provide filament supply for different socket pinouts. You might run into hum problems but if you are careful with the lead dress you should be fine.

Date: Sun, May 04th, 2008 @ 18:13 ( . )

I wanted to do it that way but I was too anxious to make amp work that I left that feature for later. When amp was all wired and running I found it impossible to do without messing things up so I went for socket adapters. As michaeleinem said, if you can get lead dress right there shouldn't be any problems whatsoever.
Also, socket adapters allow you to try these tubes in various amps without modifying.
Cheers

Author:8watch (registered user: 1 posts )
Date: Sat, Jul 16th, 2011 @ 06:21 ( . )

Please look here for new 9Pin tube conversion adapter.
Thanks for looking and maybe buying ;-)

please click on the link

[link]

with best Regards,
Heiko
8watch

Author:Dmitry Chesnokov (registered user: 96 posts )
Date: Mon, Jul 18th, 2011 @ 15:54 ( . )

I recently made a jcm800 clone with an 6p14p(el84) output section, Completely on soviet components(well except for the resistors, caps and stuff): 3 6n2p's, 2 6p14p's and 2 multitap multipurpose transformers(TAN16 and TAN27 for power and output respectively). The good part that all of them were dirt cheap: tubes a buck each, transformers 15 bucks each on a local market.

The sound though left a lot to be desired. Generally all of the components sounded more suited for hifi(bass and treble boosted, mids scooped). Any ot i tried(a couple of TAN's, one TPP, and an ot from a ancient soviet guitar amp that i'll tell you about later) sucked most. Although it was linear as all of the components, it had these weird highs that were way to fizzy(haven't had a chance to crank the thing, but i dont really think much would change).

Anyway the output tubes were pretty good. They were really mean sounding in my legacy clone, just the thing for that scooped riffing, though i dont do that. The preamp tubes were good at cleans, but the distortion was pretty weird and they didnt have a lot of gain. I'll do a comparison somewhere this week, but in combination with the soviet ot they sound really raspy and brittle.

Then another thing is that we scored a soviet guitar tube amp from the 60's-70's that:
*had a really massive pt, half the amp size;
*had a really small ot(5*5*6 cm) that puts out some serious bass and it sounds better than the bigger TAN's! It also had taps for ultralinear mode but the strange thing is that the only 2 taps of the secondary winding were wired to each other and the taps for the speaker came out from the primary. I really have no idea how they pulled that off. Any ideas?
*had a transistor in front(to boost gain?), 2 6n2p's, one as a pi, and a quartet of 6p14p's wired in ultralinear mode.
It sounds good clean, but doesnt overdrive whatever you do, i'll probably make a plexi clone out of it and use vvr on the power section.

So:
1)Any way to back off the highs on the jcm ot somehow?
2)How did they pull the thing with the ot? I suspect it has low efficiency..

--- 12 Users Online --- 47 Recent Unique Posters

Q130=1398387069 - Threads: / 1398387069