"Like" AX84 on facebook

'What should I read next?'
Author:ibanezlover (registered user: 116 posts )
Date: Fri, Aug 24th, 2007 @ 23:59 ( . )

I have read the AX84 theory document and I understand everything in it, and I have read TUT1 and understand almost everything except for the stuff about tubes like AC + DC plate resistance, etc. I also don't understand the math, like how to find plate voltages and how impedance works. I am looking for a good book or online document. I don't mind buying a book or two, I just don't want to have to buy a whole library of electronics books. Thanks.

-- REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

Author:Evan (guest: search)
Date: Sat, Aug 25th, 2007 @ 13:02 ( . )

On 08/24/2007 @ 22:59, ibanezlover wrote :
I have read the AX84 theory document and I understand everything in it, and I have read TUT1 and understand almost everything except for the stuff about tubes like AC + DC plate resistance, etc. I also don't understand the math, like how to find plate voltages and how impedance works. I am looking for a good book or online document. I don't mind buying a book or two, I just don't want to have to buy a whole library of electronics books. Thanks.
--

One suggestion:
[link]

Author:FreshStart (registered user: 290 posts )
Date: Sun, Aug 26th, 2007 @ 11:29 ( . )

I found TUT 3 really helpful since it goes from the theory of TUT 1 to practical applications - how to evaluate "iconic" circuits and then improve them (at least according to K.O.C.).

Chip

Author:Andrew Cockburn (registered user: 136 posts )
Date: Sun, Aug 26th, 2007 @ 11:55 ( . )

This TUT stuff sounds good - what is it exactly?

Author:FreshStart (registered user: 290 posts )
Date: Sun, Aug 26th, 2007 @ 14:51 ( . )

Series of books called "The Ultimate Tone" by Kevin O'Connor. You can buy them at Antique Electrical Supply or directly from London Amplification.

Chip

Author:Andrew Cockburn (registered user: 136 posts )
Date: Sun, Aug 26th, 2007 @ 15:29 ( . )

Cool - thanks :)

Author:John Hynes (registered user: 2630 posts )
Date: Sun, Aug 26th, 2007 @ 12:24 ( . )

On 08/24/2007 @ 22:59, ibanezlover wrote :
--

Do you want a book that will help you understand the math?

If you're good at self-study, and don't want to spend a fortune, I'll recommend RDH4 (AKA, "Big Red") - you can download it in PDF form for free (it's HUGE, be advised), and you can usually find a good dead tree version on ebay for $50 or so.

This will give you a vast amount of information, and tons of math/theory and worked out examples. It is also as close to error free as anything can really be, from a purely tube theory standpoint, so you can pretty much take 100% of it as factual information - something which can't really be said for many other works (save possibly the recieving tube manuals, and most assuredly Randall Aiken's book that'll be done any day now ;) ).

This really should be FAQ'd, as we seem to get this question over and over again. I know we all disagree on what's "good", but at least the discussion with pros/cons of each book could be in a FAQ...

-John

Author:Merlin (registered user: 5235 posts )
Date: Sun, Aug 26th, 2007 @ 13:15 ( . )

I highly recommend "Foundations of Wireless" by M. G. Scroggie, 1957. You can get copies of this for just a few pounds off ebay or Amazon. It's a classic introductory text, with a superb treatment of basic circuit theory- plus it's all abotu valves!

Date: Mon, Aug 27th, 2007 @ 19:18 ( . )

Thanks for the answer. I keep thinking about buying RDH, but I can't find it anywhere and I want to have it on paper. Is there any store you can buy it in, or should I just check ebay?

Date: Mon, Aug 27th, 2007 @ 19:19 ( . )

On 08/27/2007 @ 18:18, ibanezlover wrote :
Thanks for the answer. I keep thinking about buying RDH, but I can't find it anywhere and I want to have it on paper. Is there any store you can buy it in, or should I just check ebay?
--

There used to be a few places selling reprints, but I haven't seen any in a while. Ebay should yield a near pristine copy for $35-$55USD.

-John

Date: Mon, Aug 27th, 2007 @ 23:56 ( . )

Thanks, I have two more questions: I know some basic electronics right now, with TUT1 and RDH could I maybe design my own amp? Also, does RDH have a chapter on designing the layout, or is it all about the circuits?

Author:Thomas Brown (guest: search)
Date: Tue, Aug 28th, 2007 @ 00:26 ( . )

On 08/27/2007 @ 22:56, ibanezlover wrote :
Thanks, I have two more questions: I know some basic electronics right now, with TUT1 and RDH could I maybe design my own amp? Also, does RDH have a chapter on designing the layout, or is it all about the circuits?
--

Morgan Jones is good on layout.

Date: Tue, Aug 28th, 2007 @ 01:04 ( . )

--

RDH is pretty much pure theory.

I've never read Kevin O"Connor's books, and can't comment directly. Perhaps others will.

You could design your own amp with just the knowledge in the RDH - heck, you could probably build anything else you might want from what you'd learn in 25% of it. However, it's not going to give you things like layout ideas, construction techniques, or the like. Luckily, you can most of that from other resources on line, for free. To me, learning proper layout techniques doesn't merit buying a book - pick up some rules of thumb, follow them, be careful about it, and you'll be fine. Just searching this forum will turn up a goldmine of what has worked, and what hasn't. Also have a look at the published layouts for the various projects here.

-John

Date: Tue, Aug 28th, 2007 @ 01:08 ( . )

--

Also, I forgot to mention -

If you want a very, very good guide to designing your own amps, in a simple to understand format, and free on-line, I can't recommend either of the following highly enough:

[link] - Merlin's site.
[link] - Randall Aiken's site.

Great stuff in both places.

-John

Date: Tue, Aug 28th, 2007 @ 13:35 ( . )

On 08/28/2007 @ 00:08, John Hynes wrote :
I can't recommend either of the following highly enough:

*blush* you flatter me!
By the way, if anyone ever sees a copy of "low frequency amplification" for sale [link]
do not hesitate to BUY IT! It's the European equivalent to RDH, only with the wireless stuff removed.

Author:Zoe N Iain (registered user: 8138 posts )
Date: Tue, Aug 28th, 2007 @ 13:48 ( . )

(Iain) Yeah, I'm looking for a copy of that. We had a couple in the reference library when I did my training. Very useful book. Should have pinched a copy ;-}

Author:ShicagoShlim (registered user: 17 posts )
Date: Tue, Aug 28th, 2007 @ 01:00 ( . )

Try this series by Norman Crowhurst, it's quite good (and it's free!):

[link]

and there are some other texts by him around from old magazines as well.

Author:Ryan (guest: search)
Date: Thu, Aug 30th, 2007 @ 11:36 ( . )

I've been reading a textbook called "Linear Circuit Analysis," that I got free from an engineer friend of mine. I find it really helpful, although it can sometimes be difficult to relate the information in the book to the world of guitar amplifiers. It helps me to read a bit from the textbook, and then spend some time reading up on guitar amp mods, etc.

The one thing that has been helping me the most is finding comprehensive explanations of guitar amp mods and following along with the schematic, so you can SEE exactly which component relates to which aspect of tone.

Date: Sun, Sep 02nd, 2007 @ 09:05 ( . )

Also, John Lindsay Hood's "Valve and transistor amplifiers" is quite good, though does require you to have basic knowledge to begin with.

'reference books'
Author:BoxCarNav (registered user: 1 posts )
Date: Sat, Mar 16th, 2013 @ 11:27 ( . )

All the threads have good info, but for a end to end book written in plain English checkout "Designing VT Amplifiers" on the web. It's by Charles Couch and he covers it all from design to build to test equipment.

'reference books'
Author:jazbo8 (registered user: 925 posts )
Date: Sun, Mar 17th, 2013 @ 07:39 ( . )

On 03/16/2013 @ 11:27, BoxCarNav wrote :
All the threads have good info, but for a end to end book written in plain English checkout "Designing VT Amplifiers" on the web. It's by Charles Couch and he covers it all from design to build to test equipment.
--

+1 Couch's self-published book is great and comes with Excel worksheets to guide you through the design process. One of my favorites!

Jaz

--- 42 Users Online --- 12 Recent Unique Posters

Q218=1488128908 - Threads: / 1488128908