'1964 Vox AC30 vs 1993 Korg reissue Vox AC30'
Author:Soundmasterg (registered user: 837 posts )
Date: Sat, Jan 06th, 2007 @ 23:57 ( . )

Well I got together with a friend today who recently sold his 1964 Vox AC30 on ebay for about $3600. He's waiting for the check from the buyer, and we decided to compare amps since I'd never played a vintage one, and he'd never played a modern one. I have to say it was VERY interesting.

My amp is bone stock except for a filter cap that is larger than stock in an attempt to get rid of ghost notes that turned out to be speaker cone cry. This mod was done by a friend who worked on it in about 1998 which is before I knew anything about amps. I haven't changed it because the amp is always in use and it sounds fine. My tubes are unmatched prewar (and getting tired) EI in the power section, and a mix of EI, Tesla (pre JJ) and NOS in the preamp. My speakers are the original Celestion Blue reissues that came in the amp, but they've been lightly doped by Ted Weber to get rid of ghost notes.

His 1964 AC30 had original speakers and had just been gone trhough at a local amp tech's shop. His tubes are a mix of EI, Sovtek, and Chinese stuff in the power section but all bias the same, with all NOS preamp tubes in it.

Guitars used were:

his newer mexican made Tele with stock pickups, his newer American made Strat with Stephens Design pickups (www.sdpickups.com),
his several year old Gibson LP Special with stock Gibson P90's,
my self-made Strat with a custom set of Wolfetone pickups (www.wolfetone.com),
my new RIC 350V63 BBR with toasters,
and my 330/12 BBR with hi-gains.

I am of course partial to the RICS, but all of the guitars sounded great with some minor tonal adjustments to the amps. The P90 guitar sounded best throught the top boost channel, but the others sounded fine anywhere.

Both amps were about as close to each other tonally as one VW Beetle would be to another of the same era. My amp was a little more aggressive and a little louder, and it broke up more when dimed, but overall it was a bit darker sounding and not as rich sounding. His amp was chimier and richer tonally overall, with more lows, mids and highs, and overall it was just a bit cleaner. But it was VERY subtle, and it could be due to the speakers, the different transformers caps and resistors, or the fact that his was just overhauled and mine has seen constant use for 13 years. For the price, we'd both rather have mine!

-- REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

Author:nickt (guest: search)
Date: Sun, Jan 07th, 2007 @ 05:33 ( . )

As the owner of a 65 Top Boost it's encouraging to know they can be replaced. Especially after cashing in on the ebay gold !!

Author:Chris Hurley (moderator: 7807 posts )
Date: Sun, Jan 07th, 2007 @ 09:56 ( . )

Thanks for the review!

Author:electric bouzouki (registered user: 222 posts )
Date: Wed, Feb 21st, 2007 @ 21:31 ( . )

a small side note-

how hard is i to get around in the old one?

i retubed one of the new ones a few days ago, and JUST TO REACH THE TUBES i had to de-solder the speaker connections (ended up adding connectors for him), remove both back panels, and remove the chassis ALONG WITH the wooden piece on which it sits...

and you could only access 1/2 of the mounted components even then.

he was so freaked out he was trying to talk me into cutting a hole right in front of the tubes on the front panel!

i talked him out of it, of course...

Date: Wed, Feb 21st, 2007 @ 22:31 ( . )

On 02/21/2007 @ 21:31, electric bouzouki wrote :
a small side note-
:
: how hard is i to get around in the old one?
:

Undo the back panel, slide out wooden base with chassis bolted on, access all tubes. No soldering required.

Author:electric bouzouki (registered user: 222 posts )
Date: Wed, Feb 21st, 2007 @ 23:45 ( . )

i can do that now that i added the slide on connectors to the speaker leads.

the was his was wired, you HAVE to disconnect the speakers.

no big deal now.

we also had to unscrew bolts to free the piece the chassis rest on in order to slide it out. are others not like that?

On 02/21/2007 @ 22:31, nickt wrote :
On 02/21/2007 @ 21:31, electric bouzouki wrote :
: a small side note-
: :
: : how hard is i to get around in the old one?
: :
:

:
: Undo the back panel, slide out wooden base with chassis bolted on, access all tubes. No soldering required.
--

Date: Thu, Feb 22nd, 2007 @ 02:10 ( . )

On 02/21/2007 @ 23:45, electric bouzouki wrote :
: we also had to unscrew bolts to free the piece the chassis rest on in order to slide it out. are others not like that?
:

Well mine's not like that - can't speak for others though. I don't recall there being any bolts holding the board in place - but I seem to recall the speaker lead was too short to easily remove the chassis. We're talking 30 years ago - which is when I purchased the amp. So I'm a little foggy on its original state.

Holy Paris Hilton - 9 chihuahuas!

Author:Soundmasterg (registered user: 837 posts )
Date: Thu, Feb 22nd, 2007 @ 15:06 ( . )

The old JMI AC30 I was A/B'ing with mine, and a recent JMI AC50 I saw both have the power amp and preamp chassis bolted together, and bolted to the slider board. Once you take the back panel off, the slider board will just slide right out. Its kind of a cool design in some ways and a bad design in others. It doesn't leak oil though, so I wonder if its really British! :)

--- 29 Users Online --- 64 Recent Unique Posters

Q96=1416728026 - Threads: / 1416728026