'12ax7 power amp for bedroom'
Author:Doyle (guest: search)
Date: Thu, Mar 09th, 2006 @ 14:44 ( . )

Hi all I was looking at my vox tonelab se which uses a 12 ax7 for a pseudo power amp and also know of the hughes and kettner cream machine which has a 12ax7 miniture power amp and got to thinking I would like a little 12ax7 pratice amp to use at home.
Is there any schematics which use the 12ax7 like this ,preferably as parallel class A configeration one side but a push pull series version using one side each for opposite sides of the wave too wouldnt be bad anyone know of the existance of these schems.

-- REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

Author:Standa (guest: search)
Date: Thu, Mar 09th, 2006 @ 14:59 ( . )

Firefly uses 12AU7, I think it has been posted before that 12AX7 are not well suited for power amplification.

Author:Zaphod (guest: search)
Date: Thu, Mar 09th, 2006 @ 15:06 ( . )

I believe the H&K Cream Machine also uses a 12AU7, and not a 12AX7

Author:Doyle (guest: search)
Date: Thu, Mar 09th, 2006 @ 15:30 ( . )

Well what about 12XXX type amps

Author:Arthur B (guest: search)
Date: Thu, Mar 09th, 2006 @ 15:36 ( . )

On 03/09/2006 @ 14:44, Doyle wrote :
Hi all I was looking at my vox tonelab se which uses a 12 ax7 for a pseudo power amp and also know of the hughes and kettner cream machine which has a 12ax7 miniture power amp and got to thinking I would like a little 12ax7 pratice amp to use at home.
: Is there any schematics which use the 12ax7 like this ,preferably as parallel class A configeration one side but a push pull series version using one side each for opposite sides of the wave too wouldnt be bad anyone know of the existance of these schems.
--

I don't particularly understand your question. What toplogy are you referring to?

On 03/09/2006 @ 15:30, Doyle wrote :
--

a 12bh7 is a ruggedized uprated version of a 12au7.

Author:dean owens (registered user: 251 posts )
Date: Thu, Mar 09th, 2006 @ 15:57 ( . )

On 03/09/2006 @ 15:30, Doyle wrote :
--

the firefly project uses a 12au7 (in push pull self split) and is one of my favorite amps. pretty cool little sounds out of it.

you can also play around with a 12at7 and use a fender reverb tranny. it'll be prallel single ended and just throw whatever preamp you want in front of it.

the problem with a 12ax7 is what it wants to see as far as an OT. it would be pretty hard to track one down. although i think i posted something on here a while back about a 12ax7. g. weber was talking about in VGM about how to use a reverb tranny as the OT for a 12ax7. i think it was putting it in parallel SE and hooking up a 16ohm speaker to the 8ohm tap provided.

don't know how a 12ax7 will sound...
this guy (bumbox) is making some 12at7 amps. he's a great guy and pretty helpful. i'm sure if you emailed him he'd help you out on this.
firefly uses a 12au7 and sounds great.

hope that helps

Author:dean owens (registered user: 251 posts )
Date: Thu, Mar 09th, 2006 @ 16:22 ( . )

here's the link to bumbox
[link]

Author:Adam Alpern (guest: search)
Date: Fri, Mar 10th, 2006 @ 11:13 ( . )

You can make a very workable little amp with the 12AU7, or its higher-current big brother, the 12BH7. There's the FireFly which has been mentioned already, sounds great, and is probably the easiest to build.

I built a 12AU7 amp I call the LunchBox, here: [link]
It's a more complicated build because it has a full phase inverter, rather than the self-split topology.

There's several others out there too -- Mark Lavelle's Decimator [link]
There's more that I know I'm missing, but I haven't had enough coffee yet to remember them all :)

--- 19 Users Online --- 56 Recent Unique Posters

Q91=1414300316 - Threads: / 1414300316