"Like" AX84 on facebook

'Who manufactured CBS brand tubes?'
Author:John Polstra (guest: search)
Date: Sat, Jul 09th, 2005 @ 18:55 ( . )

I'm just curious: do any of you know who manufactured CBS brand tubes? I bought some NOS 5V6GT tubes, and there were two CBS brand in the batch. They turned out to be matched well, and they're quite close to the published specs -- much closer to each other and the specs than the "matched pair" (hahaha) of Tesla 6V6s I got.

John

-- REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

Author:MarkB (guest: search)
Date: Sat, Jul 09th, 2005 @ 19:34 ( . )

A lot of "house brand" tubes were made by RCA and relabeled. I don't know about this specific case.

Date: Sat, Jul 09th, 2005 @ 21:26 ( . )

On 07/09/2005 @ 19:34, MarkB wrote :
:A lot of "house brand" tubes were made by RCA and relabeled. I don't know about this specific case.

I got a couple of RCA 5V6s in the same batch, and they do look pretty similar inside. The plates are about the same size, shape, and color, but the RCAs have a small window flap at the top of the plate on one side. Of course, I have no way of knowing whether the RCA tubes are from the same era as the CBS tubes.

John

Author:Sean Weatherford (guest: search)
Date: Sat, Jul 09th, 2005 @ 19:43 ( . )

CBS BOUGHT Hytron in 1960 something. Tubes were first labled as CBS/Hytron and later CBS and then CBS/Hytron again.

I found it funny that they did not force Fender to use CBS made tubes.

Sean Weatherford
Bean's Amp Repair
Central, SC

Date: Sat, Jul 09th, 2005 @ 21:21 ( . )

On 07/09/2005 @ 19:43, Sean Weatherford wrote :
:CBS BOUGHT Hytron in 1960 something. Tubes were first labled as CBS/Hytron and later CBS and then CBS/Hytron again.

That's intersting! Did Hytron ever make any "normal" receiving tubes? I have a few very old Hytrons, but all of them are obscure military and/or UHF tubes (e.g., the HY-114B).

: I found it funny that they did not force Fender to use CBS made tubes.

:-)

John

Author:Newt (guest: search)
Date: Sat, Jul 09th, 2005 @ 22:17 ( . )

"Did Hytron ever make any "normal" receiving tubes?"

I have the following Hytron-branded tubes:

5Y3GT
6BQ5
6AU6A
6L6GB

and some CBS-branded 12AX7's

Author:Matt King (guest: search)
Date: Sat, Jul 09th, 2005 @ 22:20 ( . )

I have a Hytron 6V6GT. I recently got a N.O.S. Delco 6V6GT. I'm wondering if they're made by RCA?

Author:Miles O'Neal (registered user: 13998 posts )
Date: Sat, Jul 09th, 2005 @ 23:21 ( . )

So how are these tubes? The only CBS branded tubes I've seen were worn out and useless, in thoroughly played, old amps...

Date: Sun, Jul 10th, 2005 @ 12:27 ( . )

On 07/09/2005 @ 23:21, Harrison Ford Prefect wrote :
:So how are these tubes? The only CBS branded tubes I've seen were worn out and useless, in thoroughly played, old amps...

My 5V6s were sold as NOS, and there's nothing in their appearance to indicate that they're used. As to how they sound, I don't really feel qualified to say. I mean, I read these articles various people write where they compare 8 different brands of some kind of tube. This one has "rich, shimmering harmonics", that one is "a bit harsh", the other one is "a bit lacking in lows", blah blah blah. I just shake my head and wonder how on earth they are hearing these things. I can distinguish "awful" from "not awful", and that's about it. The CBS tubes are "not awful." And, being 5V6s instead of 6V6s, they're cheap and plentiful.

John

Date: Sun, Jul 10th, 2005 @ 12:32 ( . )

On 07/10/2005 @ 12:27, John Polstra wrote :
:On 07/09/2005 @ 23:21, Harrison Ford Prefect wrote :
: :So how are these tubes? The only CBS branded tubes I've seen were worn out and useless, in thoroughly played, old amps...
:
: My 5V6s were sold as NOS, and there's nothing in their appearance to indicate that they're used. As to how they sound, I don't really feel qualified to say. I mean, I read these articles various people write where they compare 8 different brands of some kind of tube. This one has "rich, shimmering harmonics", that one is "a bit harsh", the other one is "a bit lacking in lows", blah blah blah. I just shake my head and wonder how on earth they are hearing these things. I can distinguish "awful" from "not awful", and that's about it. The CBS tubes are "not awful." And, being 5V6s instead of 6V6s, they're cheap and plentiful.
:
: John
:
--

John

I think your hearing is very good.

Date: Sun, Jul 10th, 2005 @ 13:35 ( . )

On 07/10/2005 @ 12:32, MarkB wrote :
: I think your hearing is very good.

Heh. :-) Well, to be honest, my hearing is not very good at all. Lots of high-end loss. I wish I could say it's from playing all those stadium gigs in front of 100,000 people ... but no such luck. My doctor says the most likely cause is being over 50 and male -- neither of which I particularly want to change. :-)

John

'Hytron tubes and 6V6 alternatives'
Author:billc (guest: search)
Date: Sun, Jul 10th, 2005 @ 13:28 ( . )

On 07/09/2005 @ 21:21, John Polstra wrote :

: That's intersting! Did Hytron ever make any "normal" receiving tubes? I have a few very old Hytrons, but all of them are obscure military and/or UHF tubes (e.g., the HY-114B).
:

at least some, I have a Hytron 6N7 and a 50L6. BTW, have been looking into 6V6 alternatives myself and am planning to use 6EY6's in two 5C1 Champs I'm building, bias is a little different and heater current is higher at 680 mA, but they work well from what I've read and are available NOS for about $5....many are probably already aware of this sub but it was news to me.

Date: Sun, Jul 10th, 2005 @ 20:57 ( . )

On 07/09/2005 @ 19:43, Sean Weatherford wrote :
:CBS BOUGHT Hytron in 1960 something. Tubes were first labled as CBS/Hytron and later CBS and then CBS/Hytron again.
:
: I found it funny that they did not force Fender to use CBS made tubes.
:
: Sean Weatherford
: Bean's Amp Repair
: Central, SC

Hey Sean

Do you know anythig about Olympic brand tubes? I just got a stereo console chassis off Ebay, and the EL84s that were in it - labeled Olympic - sound pretty nice.

MarkB

--

--- 21 Users Online --- 40 Recent Unique Posters

Q135=1409223262 - Threads: / 1409223262